This morning I woke up at 7am (it is Friday - def worth remarking upon) and dragged my ass down to the Beach Rd, in the rain, to watch my brother run past as he set out to conquer the Dubai Marathon. We missed him, and had to wait for him to run another 15k back towards us, by which time the pain was etched in his face. By the end he was completely broken, but - all credit to him - he ran his first marathon in 3hrs 50mins. Which I think is awesome. His running buddies also did well - Jim ran it in an awesome 3hrs 9mins and Roly was close behind Nick with a highly creditable 3hrs 59mins!
As we stood and watched, we cheered and clapped everyone that ran past - cos that's what you do. The simple gesture of offering heartfelt encouragement, and showing them the respect and congrats they deserve, not only gets you some face cracking smiles but makes you feel amazingly good at the same time. Nick said that the simple words of encouragement, the clapping and just the presence of spectators kept waking him him and refocusing him. It must just be torturous.
I am now suitably inspired to run with the dog in the mornings. The fact that I have to, as I'm home alone this week with mum away and dad offshore, means I actually have to get up, so may as well make it count?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment