Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Adieu, beautiful chiropractor

And so I am cured. Bittersweet about this momentous day, as it means I must say goodbye to the most amazing looking chiropractor ever. He's off to Denmark. Lucky bloody Denmark. What do they need him for, they have great bacon. We have no decent bacon, and now no good looking chiropractors! If you are going to get bones cracked, the least you can do is have some toned, hunky martial arts expert manhandling you... I'm getting carried away.

The fact of the matter is, through no effort or exercize by yours truly, the tendonitus in my shoulder has cleared up and gone away. I'm seriously bloody glad about this development, as it was getting rather irritating.

Small ephiphany at lunchtime, which made me smile, in one of those "love life" moments. There were cops everywhere, and I mean on every turn, shutting off roundabouts, perching their cars on central reservations, hiding behind lamposts... everywhere... in the roads around the World Trade Center and the DIFC at lunchtime today. My first thought - ooh, there must be a VIP around.

I only realized after about five minutes, that when I'd lived in London, my first thought on seeing more than one police car in a road would have been "Where's the trouble?"
Much happier with my present reaction.

In other news -

The world of Twitter and social media continues to fascinate me, and take up an inordinate amount of my time. I'm sure someone will cotton on to this at some point, so I'm hoarding up documents and ppts that I've found through tweets, to prove that I'm putting some kind of study together. I just don't know what shape it's going to take just yet...

Over the weekend Amazon.com scored a massive own goal in the online world, by completely failing to respond to their public after (apparently) a "glitch" or some sort of computer failure started stripping (no pun intended) titles of their rankings, and removing them from the database. Unfortunately, many of these were homosexual in nature, and it was quickly reported that Amazon's customer service had confirmed that these titles were being targeted. I read a beautiful quote in one of the articles discussing this issue, which compared Amazon's response to standing on stage, in front of tens of thousands of angry people (or tweeple, in this case), and instead of taking the microphone and saying, look, we're looking in to what happened and how to get all of these titles reinstated, at the moment we think this is a computer glitch and we would like to reiterate that Amazon does not have any discriminatory policies based on the content of the novels affected (or something)... and instead getting on a mobile phone to dictate a statement to their PR agency down the road, who then fax it to these pissed off people staring at the online pages where Amazon first made their name.
No blog postings, no tweets, nothing. How to take your differentiating factor - one of the original online marketplaces that has become a global brand through online domination - and shun online communication when you're in a tight corner.
Stupid, in any industry.

Currently sitting here waiting for a two liner to be signed off, and basically avoiding having to go play in the traffic. I'm off on a dive trip to the Musendam this weekend, and realized yesterday that as all my stuff is in storage, this probably means that my dive computer, fins, mask, boots etc are all at the bottom of a box, which is bound to be the box at the very back of the storage cupboard, underneath my couch. Happy joy joy joy.

No comments: