Thursday, May 07, 2009

Is that a weekend I see before me?

Haaallll-eh-bloody-lujiah. The weekend has almost landed. Though this has been a short week (started on tues after my uk jaunt), it has managed to feel just as long as a normal week!

Just dropped mum and dad off at the airport, they're off to see Marilyn. They are so sad, and I can't forget that they aren't just losing a relative, but a really close friend. This death and dying crap is a weighty and unpleasant presence, when it does sneak in to your life.

So this weekend I'm on my own - which will actually be quite nice. Off to the cinema this evening with Hannah for a spot of Trekkie action - I'm not a trekkie but it is showing in Gold Class so at least I'll be comfy. I think I will mainly potter this weekend, pondering the next step in the "ACP Plan for the Universe" world domination strategy. I'm increasingly thinking that it may involve waving "bye, bye, Dubai" but have yet to figure out where I might land. Bahrain is out, they just banned booze over there.

The weekend in the UK was lovely. Thurs was when most of the family heard about Marilyn, so I spent much of the day wandering shops talking to various cousins on the phone, in varying states of teariness. Thurs evening found us in Trafalgar Sq with 13k people doing mass karaoke for their newest ad campaign, which was just what we needed - a huge crowd of cheerful people radiating positivity!
Friday I spent getting accosted by various inebriated tramps, as I ducked in and out of meetings around town, culminating in a beer of 5 with Pete outside Spitalfields market. The tramp thing was mental though - I was like a magnet. The first one was on the tube, and was getting a bit scary but he finally got off the train. As he did, a woman sitting down the carriage asked if I was ok - apparently she'd been wondering how to intervene without me thinking I was being accosted by a second loonie! Very amusing, and comforting to know that she was watching the situation, even if it didn't turn in to anything I couldn't handle (how many double negatives???)
Spent lots of time with Kate and Iwan this time too, and various Fry seniors. Kate remains one of my favourite people ever, and a very very good friend indeed, one I'm very lucky to still have after over 16yrs. Their house is lovely, they have done an amazing job with it, and I'd love to get my hands on a project like that.

And then the film course... It was mental, but really positive and enjoyable. They threw us in at the deep end from the start. There was a real mix of posh middle aged housewives who wanted to film documentaries on specific strains of irish folk dance, to the 19yr old gap students who thought this was their ticket to Hollywood. And quite a few normal people in the middle, like me, who wanted to broaden their cvs and saw a use for video in their jobs.

As for flying Etihad - not impressed.

No comments: