Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The calming power of blips

I have been slightly manic all day, but fortituously clicked on a blip.fm link on my tweetdeck and was instantly calmed - Suzanne Vega's 'Language' came streaming through my headphones. I'm not a fan but I wonder if I should be, this is a rather beautiful, chilled song. I think the only one of hers I'd heard was the hit that she had when I was in my teens, all those eons ago, and was more in to ear-bleeding techno or whatever I was listening to back then.

I also had my half year review this afternoon, and that was also calm and pleasant, leading me to believe that the rest of the world has been calm and pleasant all of this time and I've been in my own little vortex of panic and stress for no apparent reason. This is highly probable, and I think it is time it should stop now. Universe, take heed please. Thanks. Nice one.

My plan for the summer is to get back in the gym, thereby avoiding the temptation to go out during the week (as the prentals are off to the UK for a couple of months). However this plan hurts. I'm persevering - spinning tonight - but I'm walking slightly oddly as a result. I'm sure people suspect more interesting reasons for my odd gait, if only I were so lucky.

The Dubai rumour mill is also still spinning, some might say out of control, though obviously I wouldn't dare be one of these dastardly naysayers ....
It would be nice to see some positive steps being taken, rather than more appointments and reshuffles at DH, Nakheel lay off another 400 people, Etisalat roll out a Blackberry patch containing surveillance software and the papers hardly report it, and all the various other shenanigans that are going on as we all blithely pootle along. Still, the rents continue to drop about as quickly as the mercury rises, so there is a silver lining... sort of.

I feel as though the coming month or so will be my last time this year to sit and take stock, so I intend to do so. I have business trips to Singapore in Sept, followed by Eid, then Soph & Rob visiting Dubai, then Chicago in October, with a jaunt to Austin tacked on (I hope) to see Alexis & Jason & their boys, as well as Dad's 60th in Nov, and a trip to Bangkok/Koh Samui/Hong Kong for a holiday - potentially with a quick detour to Singapore to attend the APPEC conference. As a friend noted today, I'm not allowed to whinge about a job that allows me to fart around the world in such a fashion, I'm a lucky cow indeed. I do appreciate it, honest. But sometimes I'd just like to live somewhere were I could go for a walk when I was bored (there are honestly no pavements in Dubai, even if it wasn't scorchio), or actually own my house and bang a wall down occasionally if I felt like it. Odd cravings, I know, but there you are.

Over&out kids.

No comments: