Sunday, July 30, 2006

Beginnings

I'm currently in whole worlds of pain from a rather ginormous hangover, brought on by basically going out from thursday evening right through to the early hours of saturday - with short bout of unconsiousness masquerading as sleep in between. Pain that knows no bounds.

I'm also trying to decide what I believe in at present. Whether or not you are a religious, spiritual, superstitious person, and however you choose to define it, there definitely periods in life where it just goes tits up. Everything. Unequivocally. And equally, periods that are glowing and reminiscent of 50's movies when gay had a different meaning and it was okay for men to skip. May I just point out here that I am a straight female, with nothing against skipping homosexuals. So whether it is karma, or God, or the stars, something somewhere has been conspiring to turn my life rather upside down at the moment.

Factors at Play:
  • Turning 30 sucks. As much as everyone keeps trying to convince me it will be fine, I am speeding towards the close of the decade that was supposed to be all about fun, leaving my 30's to be all about work, yet my 20's has actually been almost 100% about work. Which has left me with a career to (mostly) be proud of, sporting only a few dents inflicted by occasional bouts of 'too-much-fun'.
  • There are no decent men in this town. Yes, there are many fun ones, and many fit ones, and many rich ones, and lots of poor ones, and some of them have good combinations of sense of humour, bits in the right place and vague amounts of intelligence, yet I have conducted a rather thorough search through all of these categories, and have consistently failed to find any one gent with the right amount of .... va va voom.
  • I'm currently homeless and have a buggered car. Both easy to sort out, especially since the folks live here, yet this is an issue hanging round my neck like the veritable albatross. Plus the skyrocketing living costs in this sandy playground of mine are likely to bankrupt the comfy little life I've been living up till now, turning up the volume on the little voice squeaking 'why dubai...' from the corner....

So... will the stars realign? Will I pull my finger out? Yes to both, of course, but just had to have a cyber whinge whilst dragging myself through this wonderous phase.

On the other side of the city, my brother started his new job today, and his fiancee went back to work well and happy after the big C, so their planets are totally aligned and zipping along merrily. They had their planetary ass-kicking in March, so this is well overdue. Hooray for them.

2 comments:

Peter Kenny said...

Your 20s do suck badly... don't let anyone tell you different. It just gets better x

badgerdaddy said...

Absolutely. Everything's been great since 30 - I also overworked big time in my 20s. Looking back, you couldn't pay me to do my 20s again. 30s have been brilliant and get better all the time.