Sunday, May 18, 2008

Counting Pennies and other fascinating pastimes

Having an incredibly quiet day today- I rather love this new job for that. When they do require me to use my brain, it is for non-facile discussions about actual business topics, and lots of the time, they don't seem to require me to be here at all. Which is rather perfect I think, though I am likely to start creating work for myself, and have already embarked on a project that I dreamt up on my second day.

I am utterly skint this month, and it is driving me rather mad. My April paycheck was only half a paycheck, as the dear old company were rather expert in calculations totally favouring them, and not really favouring me. I'll be thankful in December, when my rent is marginally less (due to these bizarre sums) but right now I'm not feeling terribly grateful. I've budgeted up to pay day and the fun factor over the next two weeks (ten days?!) is pitifully low.

Other than that... the boy wonder is in Paris, and not looking so wonderous anymore, so may have to readdress that on his return. It's getting hot, so I've remembered that sunbathing is free, a bit too late in the year as always seems to happen. I'm about half way down.... ok why lie, I've ticked off one thing on my to-do list (of about ten things) that will magically realign my life and make it ticketyboo, but the other things will just happily fall in to place like dominoes once I figure out which one to do first to set off the desired chain reaction. Till then, I'm just prevaricating.

I do rather like being in DIFC though, feels terribly important and city-like. The architecture is fabulous, and people smile and chat in the coffee shops (which is lovely when a large majority of these people are male, and rather model-like). I'm cursing the onset of summer, as you can sit in the gardens between the buildings and eat lunch in the sunshine, but in a month or so you won't be able to scurry across the baking concrete without burning your feet through your shoes.

Highlight of the week - nope, can't think of one, though Indiana Jones is out soon and we're booked in to Gold Class to watch it on Saturday afternoon - result! Lazyboys and Harrison Ford - what else could a girl need on a lazy hot weekend afternoon. So pleased it is Sunday and I'm already counting down to the weekend, I'm sure that's not healthy? Had a lovely quiet weekend this one just gone, though the 'quiet' bbq at Nick's on Thurs was anything but. Jill had finished Gran's 90th birthday BobsBooks Book (and done a sterling job) so we were honour-bound to crack open a bottle of vino (or 6) at their bar and bbq some sausages and ribs. Stumbled home at 1am and drunkdialled Paris... to find the boy still in the airport irked by something or other and not particularly keen on listening to me waffle.

Awoke on Friday full of plans of making stock and lazily cooking things that I want in my freezer, until I realized I was supposed to be at a birthday lunch for Natasha five minutes prior to looking at my watch, in another part of town, and preferably sporting something other than the dressing gown/towel combo I had on. Managed to make it, realized as I sat down that I was more hungover than had previously been acknowledged, and managed to be the least sociable it is possible for me to be. Ever. I didn't introduce myself to the person on my left. (Granted, she didn't identify herself to me either). She had a nephew with cystic fybrosis, and was telling us all about the disease - apparently they can reverse the gene now, but only for 48hrs. Horrid, but interesting at the same time.

Yesterday I chilled with Mum - we were on a mission to do jobs but were foiled fairly quickly - Emaar were shut so no luck getting a new access card for my building (more balcony climbing then) and the RTA was also closed, so still no replacement driving license. Did book a dentist appointment about my amazing moving tooth, but their first slot was a month away... nuts. So we hit the Lime Tree for lunch then did jobs for mum - bought her shoes that resemble tortoiseshell, and cleaned out The Gap prior to her hols. Annoyingly she is about a million sizes smaller than me - everyone says we're so alike... and there is this deafening silence as they think... but such different sizes! I shall be dieting as of next week (another thing on the list of to-dos, which comes after getting a credit card) and will soon have a figure to rival my mother's willowy frame!

As I'm giving myself fingerache typing all this wibble, I shall sign off. Have a good day.

No comments: