Monday, January 29, 2007

misty mornings

Another mad weekend completed, and my week begins in earnest a day later than planned, due to zombie like state yesterday. Sailing all day and socializing all night tends to take it out of you. This weekend we have the overnight race to look forward to, though as politics on the boat hit new levels this weekend, my job on the back may transform itself to a railbait role, and I'm not very good at being a passenger. We shall see, emotions running high in the run up to the Maktoum challenge, so it is all triply (?sp?) sensitive. I have no idea if triply is a word, or if it is, if that is how one would spell it, but bugger it, this is not a grammar showcase. Obviously.

I'm on a new business drive, and having never really been quite so accountable for this area of my job, it's quite an exciting and nerve wracking time. The delicate stages of convincing people that we are the right people to do their work for them, drinking with them, being mates (as they invariably are in this tiny town) then asking for shedloads of moolah, is something that I'm learning fast but definitely still learning. It's all good, just something that I was pondering this morning on my morning walk to work... in the mist. Bizarre weather today, it has burnt off now, but it was proper fog this morning, cold as well, with break through sun that made me squint, followed by thick fog making me look a proper twat in my sunnies.

Had a wonderous client meeting this morning at 9am to discuss changes to be made to a speech, for someone leaving the country at 11am, with no brief on the new angle to take, no idea of why the changes that have been made internally were made, and no real idea on what they want from us at the end of my 'changes'. I asked every question I could think of, and am now going to be forced to write a mail with all of those questions again. I love my job, but there are times I do long to beat people around the head with a particularly smelly salmon.

Today is my day of doing, as I'm on a mission to sustain the flurry of activity kicked off yesterday. I tidied my house last night, booked a maid to come in twice a week, organized my laundry and dry cleaning, and phoned the gym and the nutritionist. I then decided that was me done with virtuous activity for at least another ten days or so, so cooked crab/chilli/lime/garlic spaghetti and watched two chick flicks. Still no tinternet or tv at home, which is high on my list of 'to-dos' for today, though I'm putting it off as it is bound to be a painful experience. Queing in tecom to get them to do anything is painful, and I am guaranteed to have forgotten at least 3 of the 86 bits of paper required to grant me tv.

My aunt is over at the moment, and the vision of the two sisters (mum and her) tearing round town talking twentyzillion to the dozen has driven me to prioritize things that I can do inside my flat, shut off from the world! They're all coming round after work, hence the tidying spree, to meet my cats and see the flat. We were all supposed to be going to see Quidam this week as well, I'm waiting for Monsieur N to get back to me on what night he's free, and it looks like that means we're not going to be able to go en masse, but I think that might be a good thing. Looking forward to seeing it though, supposed to be amazing.

Off to kick client ass now, suitably grumpy and frustrated as now surrounded by piles of islamic finance ppt and notes, so in exactly the right state to 'raise my concerns'.

No comments: