Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Just found all of the other pictures, taken on a proper camera, of the Vernissage the other night...


The red cards were in a small room off the XVA Gallery courtyard, and I think they were the work of a student. There was something about them that really drew me in...



















The unfortunate thing about this room, which captivated me, was that it was full of pretentious lovvies. So I stood at the door and took a photo of the best parts. The film playing on the screen was accompanied by a scratchy soundtrack, and the lighting was divine.. The artist was Pakistani, but I didn't get a chance to see the titles of either of the two pieces in this picture.















The hats were covered in arabic writing about love, written in red glitter. Her point was about the expression of love in different languages, and the way the arabic language expressly offers its heart, in common greetings to loved ones. The artist was also displaying an installation of a heap of giant chocolates, but I didn't really get it.




















This was part of a series, with detailed paintings of modern figures observing the very ancient eastern depictions commonly found in nepali/old indian artwork. I loved the way the artist avoided making this too obvious, working the twist quietly but clearly in to the piece.




















We found this courtyard by mistake, and although I actually loved the shadows twisting around this sculpture, the picture shows a completely different side of the same work. And I quite like that.

No comments: