I've started to think that I need to split my loyalties in the social media world. I'm addicted to Facebook, which is purely social, and really only useful for finding people I was at primary school with, who now all live in the States, and depressing myself that they all have beautiful spouses/children & perfect jobs. I'm becoming addicted to Twitter, though I see more work applications for it than purely personal, as a communications tool between journalists/PR/marketing types commenting on the industry, as well as following StockTwits, which opens up a whole new medium of B2B (sort of) communications and real time trading dialogue.
So now I'm wondering about this blog. I don't think I have many readers, which has always been fine with me, it is a relatively personal rant forum, which really therefore only appeals to people who know me. Or wierdos. Apologies if you fall in to that category, but I've never really seen the point of reading a personal blog of someone you don't know. So I'm wondering whether to branch out and start blogging on behalf of the company, whether to start really marketing myself through my blog. I think not, as I just don't think I have enough to say on behalf of the company that I can't put out in a more targeted fashion (eg interviews) or that doesn't start talking on topics that we can't touch (as a marketplace we can't comment on loads of pertinent industry topics).
But Twitter is a different story. There, the brevity works in our favour, and the dialogue potential is awesome.
I read a post from one of my "colleagues" in the CME, who is Director of Comms for the group, and is mad about social media. He was suggesting that people look to the non-profit sector to try and help them develop strategic solutions in the field of social media, to boost their profiles without impacting their budgets in a big way. I think it might be something I explore. The good charitable people of Dubai will be thoroughly flummoxed, but there we go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment