Saturday, March 14, 2009

lazy days and sundays..

always make me smile? I forget the rest of that line. Still, it has been a very lazy Sunday equivalent today. It's Nick's 30th, but he's in Scotland celebrating with Josh & Will and all of their respective wives, so no celebrations here.

It's been hazy today too, which has suited my mood. I think it is mainly tiredness, as I woke up at 6am to let F&K in to their flat, which i've been housesitting, and stood around talking for half an hour before coming home and pottering. I finally gave in and went back to bed at about 8am, rising again at midday, which has completely thrown out my day. Very teenage behaviour, but after a rather large Thursday night, involving silver space capes, pogo dancing and the theft of a small marble pillar (?!) I think I needed the sleep.

The universe listened to my air of slight blueness, and has come up with two interesting options which should divert me nicely over the coming weeks, taking me nicely up to the point where I'm off to Emma's wedding, and therefore have lots of lovely things to look forward to. I think I might try and go to Thailand in April as well, for a proper chill out and detox, as I still have that ticket floating around. We shall see.

I spent this past week in a rather airless 70's conference room, with two overweight gentlemen with the kind of bellies that scream loving devotion to pies and chips and beer over a very long period of time. Said gentlemen were training us on the Fundamentals of International Oil Trading - so I am now au fait with the lingo to use when chartering an oil tanker, or shipping that latest jet fuel cargo round the Cape. I loved it, and actually got quite in to it. Quite fun using my brain for a change! Quite amusing though, they split us in to syndicates (eg...groups) on the first day, four men and me in my group. On the first exercise there were 4 questions, so instead of all working through them, one bright spark decided we should do one each and compare.

"You, lady" he said "You take a break"

My blood boiled. I informed him rather frostily that my name was Aimee and I would be doing question 1. I then proceeded to kick his ass with general understanding, mental arithmetic and basic intelligence over the course of the next 3 days. Perhaps i should learn some mercy, but really, who talks like that. He has learnt... don't mess with the wrath of the Peters!

No comments: