What a mental day. The egyptian finally resigned in a blaze of blamestorming shouting, apparently I should note his departure as a milestone in my career for singlehandedly bringing him down. He also claimed to be the calmest person in the building. That this was delivered at shouting pitch took away from the overall effect somewhat.
Fortunately, our head of HR had been party to all of his outbursts and shouting over the last week (and before), and was standing with me today when he decided to unleash his final outburst - seconds after I'd received news of the sudden death of a family friend. On Tuesday Roger Adamson collapsed on the golf course in the blazing sunshine in Anglesey of all places, with Sheila nearby, and was gone within hours. Part of me feels it was a wonderful quick, relatively painless departure, and the rest of me is just sad. So I told the Egyptian to find a fax number himself, and he flipped. Apparently it was patronising.
Ironically, we'd been given the go-ahead to fire him this morning, about the same time as his outburst, which was why the HR dir had walked over to my office, only to find me having a quiet sniffle. Odd how things work out.
The day proceded in much the same vein - a client with an event next month decided he needed about ten more things producing, another client wanted a release on helicopters instantly then it wasn't right (and magically, the brief changed), and the whole restructure campaign we've been advising on for weeks happened all of a sudden with the announcement of a board meeting for Sat, requiring an urgent release, and another one on Saturday.
I escaped at 7ish, drove to the tailors, and discovered half the shirts I had altered are too small.
So I turned to curry, because food is often the answer. Ravis is the home of curry - less than 50d's for more food than three of us could eat, and absolutely delicious. Picked up one of my mates on the way home, opened a lovely bottle of pouilly fuisse and drank the lot with the veg kofta, daal and rice.
We watched dreamgirls, with jennifer hudson & beyonce, which was distinctly average, mainly (in my view) because of the frequent, annoying, and distinctly dodgy bits where the dialogue was sung. Interestingly, most of my friend's comments were rather more focused on the racial aspect - ie - jazz clubs scary because of a concentration of black people, jamie foxx isn't attractive because, well, just isn't, and other such observations. Bizarre, as it isn't often that I notice these kinds of comments, perhaps because I hear them so rarely, which is something I love about our town. It really does change my viewpoint on a person, and I hope to hell I got it wrong, and am just tired after a shitty day. We'll have to see tomorrow. Now, it's probably time for bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment