Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Pain

Has a whole new definition. Boot camp this morning involved the evil beep test, which I screwed up royally due to the ridiculous humidity, followed by 200 push ups intercepted by military presses (lifting large pipe filled with sand above head and raising it to chin level & back up) then sit ups with bicep curls to break the pain. Joy. Thurs is the last day of this month's pain, but as I'm some kind of addict I've signed up to sweat my way through June as well. I had better start morphing into the sylphlike creature I should be by now.

In other news... I had my appraisal yesterday and my new title is officially Chief Magician. It is the only moniker that properly reflects the perception that I can deliver documents in a language that is not my own, in perfect business Arabic, in a matter of hours, backed by an overworked team. Whilst hunting down new business opportunities, measuring business cards, hunting down video conferencing suppliers and spinning stories to journalists to distract them from the fact my client is possibly doing something dodgy re share price. I don't know that, because they don't talk to me (crazy concept) but it bloody well looks like it from this angle. Appraisal was odd, the stupid HR form was completely ignored, and we chatted about what I'm doing with my clients, would I like to move to Abu Dhabi (do i look brain-impaired?) and where should new biz come from. Hopefully I passed the hidden secret questions that were no doubt lurking in there somewhere.

Fell in love with a new handbag from the WGs, discovered new discount designer havens... in deira though which sucks, and am just about managing to control my going out during the week, though I crumbled last week due to ridiculous new biz meetings and dinners... i missed boot camp twice - the shock! Otherwise, the weather is overcast and hot (damn hot), and the weekend looms, complete with DOSC ball on Thurs night that should be suitably messy - sailors tend to drink rather heavily. I have started taking the vitamin C and milk thistle in preparation already.

No comments: