Today, work decided to build a 'treats corner'. They put it about two meters from my GLASS office, at about a NNE bearing from my eye line. This means that I have haribo, mini-Dime bars, jammy dodgers and packets of crisps winking at me constantly.
My mouth just watered.
I think this is an evil ploy to chip away at my newly formed, bootcamp resolve. I shall not crumble, unlike the utterly devine fake JammyDodger i sampled earlier, as I am a soldier... oh yes siree...
Walking in to work this morning I was pondering bloggage, and feeling slightly uncomfortable about an old post of mine, which i wrote after the young boy hit me with a pipe outside the mosque. Its interesting, as I wrote that in a rather flippant tone, and I guess it could be taken the wrong way. But I wrote it after regaling my - very mixed race & religion - team mates with the story, so it became something amusing rather than something particularly religiously significant. I've worked in companies where there is a steady stream to the prayer room regularly through the day, and ramadan is a food-free zone, and companies where we have one muslim from four or five arabs, and water is allowed in the office, to companies without a prayer room where team mates are kneeling just feet away from me loudly pitching computer 'news' to bored journalists. The UAE being the melting pot that it is provided a really interesting insight (for me) in to the general sweeping brushstrokes that cultures apply to religion. For example, the Lebanese are more about where they're from, and that has some kind of sect or religious leaning attached. The Syrians are usually Muslim, but not really 5 times a day folk. And in our office now, I haven't noticed anyone praying, ever. I guess its like the English Irish Italian generalizations - I don't think you find many English people of my generation who still go to church with their parents - I think that's very different in parts of Ireland, and in Italy... but these are again, sweeping generalizations.
So that's what i was pondering on my way to work.
When I got here, a mire of swirling nonsense swept me up and there was no more time for existential posturing. I kept Facebook open for light relief and banter every half hour or so, to keep me at my desk yet slightly more sane than if I were to actually stare at work mail non stop all day. So I reckon that makes Facebook a productivity tool, in a roundabout fashion. I'm not planning on raising this in my upcoming appraisal session though, especially as SB anounced today that I'm getting more clients as she's just tooo busy. I'm saying nothing....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Last post on 9 May? Pretty poor show, Peters...
Post a Comment