Wednesday, December 31, 2008

News from Dubes - our esteemed ruler decided late last night that celebrating New Years Eve is not appropriate given what is happening to the Palestinians in Gaza, so cancelled New Year. Full Stop.

It has taken until now, a good 18hrs later, that they have clarified that all parties will be held indoors, and ostentatious displays of fireworks and outdoor music/dancing are not appropriate.

There are wonderous things about living in this country, and then there are the realities of living in a land devoid of democracy. Still, glass half full.....

I took these pictures today of the aforementioned artwork around the DIFC. I think I'm super priviledged to work in such an incredibly beautiful place. I also feel proud of being a part of the DIFC community, creating economic success that could play a part in transforming the Middle East in the long term, which in the end, is part of a solution for lasting peace in the region.

Anyway - back to the art -

Pic 1 - building in the back is where I work - 4th floor just above the shade barriers...

Pic 2 - underneath the gate, looking at the Emirates Towers - the hanging trapeze artists are about 4m off the ground so fairly low and hard to spot.

Pic 3 is my favourite - same as pic 4 but with the Emirates Towers in the background. Pic 4 has the man who has 'fallen' in to the pond below....









Last but one - upside down trapeze man with shapes in his hands - the building behind is my building

No comments: