Thursday, December 18, 2008

Seista Longings

I ate too many carbs today. The croissant I had for breakfast and the pizza I had for lunch not only bore far too many similarities in bland, cheesy fattiness, but have meant that my body is now entirely focusing on finding places to squirrel away the vats of lard I ingested. I have visions of cheesy goo slopping around. And yet I wonder why skinny jeans don't suit me.

So basically, I'm tired. Last night was the "residents drinks" event at the Desert Palm Hotel - an illustrious gathering fuelled by an open bar, and frequented by the great and good of DP. It was lovely actually, very varied, and full of interesting people. As may be illustrated by the following - and I promise, these are verbatim, and all said to me directly within a 2hr time span.
* "I am building a boat. You might have seen it. It was in the movie "Steve Zissou, The Adventures of a Life Aquatic. I maybe spent $10m so far. Maybe $10m more will do it."
* "Yes, I live in Afghanistan working for the UN Human Rights Commission. It's less of a party town than it once was"
* "They tried to throw me in prison - I lost sleep for two years."
* "It's not a wedding if it isn't in Church, so I dressed in jeans. My husband to be was a bit surprised"

Desert Palm is full of mad polo players, rich recluses, some of the oddest couples in coupledom, a smattering of stinky snobs, and some genuinely lovely eccentrics. Not sure where Mum & Dad fit in to that list, but I think they dip in and out of most groups quite appropriately from time to time.

Today has been mostly about sorting through the things that need to be done before the end of the year. January will be mental, and as we are now a team of two, lots of the actual workload is down to me. However, hopefully, as we are a team of two, some of the stress and horrible atmosphere that has pervaded my working hours will now have gone. Who knows. Perhaps my other team member will resign in a fit of pique - this would probably not be a dreadful thing, as I could start afresh with a new team, but I would lose a lot of knowledge, and she is a smart girl who could go really far. Chances of that are slim, as she's getting married in Feb, and won't have to work anymore, so will probably choose not to. To some that sounds like bliss, I think I'd go insane.

Rain has blighted the sandlands again this week, though it brings a fresh springtime crispness to the air that even I have to admit is not unwelcome. And I am avowedly anti-rain at the best of times. Obligingly, it has been raining when I've been in meetings, or asleep, which are clearly two of the best times for the skies to open. If they could just open a bit more and allow me some sunbathing time this weekend, that'd be just peachy-keen, Daddy-O.
Or something.

No comments: