Sunday, August 27, 2006

culture, dubai style.

A slow day really. Odd pain around the midriff, possibly caused by carousing rather too vigorously on friday fuelled by hop-tastic atmosphere in the IV, possibly just a wierd ache. Kept the carousing within tasteful limits, well, apart from the attempt at irish dancing, which I should learn I really cannot do. Goes down a treat when the audience are more inebriated than self, tho perhaps that was the bouncing cleavage. I shall never know. I hope.

Dearest sproglet1 suggested swopping parental vehicles last night after chilled out cinema trip to see the Aniston/Vaughn lovefest that wasn't, depressing tosh, the worst kind. Anyway, I thought he was terribly kind, swopping cars so I get the posh black one and he's driving the not so posh one. Then I discovered that the petrol tank is nigh on empty. Conniving bugger. Actually I'm more annoyed that I didn't think of cunning ruse first. Sproglets on top form, planning more shenanigans for the coming weekend already. Joy.

Off to buy a book this evening, then going to a 30th birthday - on a Sunday night? Joy. Book is for discussion this time next week - Memory in the Flesh - Ahlem Mosteghanemi. Am hoping its good so i can dredge up something vaguely intelligent to say. Also planning on going to a discussion of Arna’s Children, followed by a teleconference with its Israeli/Palestinian director Juliano Mer Khamis on Tuesday, so will duly report. May be a repeat of the spoken word display but at least Dubai is trying to be vaguely cultural and I for one shall dip my toe in and see what takes my fancy. Everyone is quite fired up still about the recent conflict in Lebanon, which is good I think, hopefully it won't take so long to get the country back on its feet this time. There is a stubborn determination in the air, which I admire. Also going to a fundraising brunch on Saturday for MSF in Lebanon, which sounds terribly 'ladies who lunch', but won't be at all. So that's my balance for the week - german hopfest at irish bar one weekend, fundraising for lebanon the next.

Auf Wiedersehen yes culchies. xx

No comments: