Funny how a little phrase from childhood can summon up so many memories, whilst also summarizing my current frame of mind - "action stations" was, well, is, my dad's favourite war cry, rallying the Peters troops!
Off diving this week in glorious celebration of Eid - traditionally a time for family and eating. I figure I'll do plenty of that in Dec, so will head for the hills, literally, to swim with (hopefully) large fishes in the deserted desert fjords in the Eastern mountains of the Mussendam.
Organized by a bunch of ex-army-turned lawyers, the weekend should be pretty well organized, and they know how to have fun, so my thoughts are generally that I'm going to chill and see where the weekend takes me. We head off tomorrow night, and leave Dibba port at midnight. Heading for the furthest tip on the East coast, we should see dolphins at the very least, and explore some new dive sites, which will be refreshing. Plus I got to flirt with a random American in the dive shop when dropping my computer off for a new battery, which is always good for the ego. Obviously, mine is quite intact, but a bit of stroking occasionnaly does any ego good. Provided it doesn't overinflate, that is.
Watching House, which I do love, for his sheer arrogance, and the way he somehow radiates some kind of sex appeal, although he really is an odious character.
Work taking a turn downwards, as I face my ego, in a different guise. Check out the blatant introspection - this wasn't the intention of this post in the slightest, but one side effect of blogging on the blackberry is that it removes easy editing, and produces a 'flow of consiousness' style that takes it's own turns and shapes itself.
Anyway, work, shocking meeting this morning where I lost my temper for the first time since joining, and in a quite spectacular burst of badly contained fury and scathing condescenion. Not pretty, not clever. The fury was justified though, as people sit on their laurels being idiotic and expecting to be paid tens of thousands of dollars a month as consultants, then sit in a meeting and expect spoon feeding. How they expected me to accept "but the other agency didn't tell me" as a valid excuse, at a brainstorming they purportedly organised, was weak to say the very, very least. So then I shouted at the team, vented at the CEO, and spent the afternoon doing all of their work myself. Great for the soul. Pah.
Which led to the decision to only work one of the days of Eid, which starts tonight (if the intrepid spotters sight a sliver of moon) rather than all three as planned. May the sliver of moon appear and shine joyously on all those whose did my head in today.I hope they enjoy their weekends, as next week is not going to be so easy - I'm going to!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment