Sunday, September 07, 2008

Note to Self

1. Blogging on a blackberry in the back of a cab after boozing = bloody barmy
2. He's just not that in to you. Repeat. And again. Ad infinitum.

If I could now learn how to learn from mistakes, all would be hunky dory. I'm hiding out from the traffic in an empty office, that has been empty since about 3pm. It's 6.08pm and I feel like it's midnight- it has that eerie empty office feeling.

For some reason traffic chaos has hit Dubai today, and our normally crazy roads took on a whole new level of insanity. At about 10am the roads in and out of the key hubs were still at a standstill, and, whilst they then cleared (sort of) between about 1130-230, they then became a nightmare again. As I'm finally moving back to my flat (the prentals have come home from their extended UK tour) I'm back in cabs, and the Greens is a no-go zone whenever there is a hint of traffic trouble. So I've been watching YouTube & XFactor videos at my desk. Yes, I probably could have used that time productively. I would argue reacquainting myself with UK trash tv culture is useful.... though for what, I'm not entirely sure.

Heard an incredibly salacious rumour the other night, which I don't think I could even post. Went for drinks with some comms types who have high up jobs in high up places, and felt incredibly out of my depth, but it was fascinating. The influence these people have is incredible, they are actually involved in policy making, and shaping truly impactful decisions. Part of me would love to be in their place, and the other part of me knows that I'd suffer far too much soul searching and guilt to be any good - I think you have to separate yourself from your emotions to a degree, make the call, and move on. I'm not suggesting they act lightly, or rashly, but to be truly strategic and rational you have to look at the whole picture, and I think I'd get too involved in the details. Who knows - and as it's unlikely to ever be an option, who cares!?

Rather annoying that one of these people did choose to tell me that I should have followed the money to Abu Dhabi when I had the chance, rather than joining a company I thought I could contribute to - which speaks volumes in itself. Overall a very enjoyable evening, returned home to my parents & brother sorting the world out over a bottle of whisky, then randomly had a call from Neill so the poor guy was on speaker phone at 2am for a call with the Peters Family - harsh!!

No comments: