Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday, Sunday...

The weather at the moment is awesome, which makes it all the more galling that I am either in an office dealing with HR nightmares, or in my flat surrounded by boxes which need purging. Apart from a brief bacon sarnie by a pool on Fri, I haven't actually spent any time outside in weeks. I may be sporting a rather bleak outlook at the moment, but I have a strong suspicion I'm going to wake up and plan an amazing weekend lounging by a pool, and I'll look around and realize it is July again, and hot as a furnace. The power of positive thinking is not one of my strongest points!

I'm typing this on the blackberry as some muppet tries to convince my computer to come back to life. It is 5.45 so I could realistically leave, but with the joys of boxes and piles of stuff to go home to, as well as an airbed that stubbornly refuses to stay full (leaving me with a seriously dodgy back this am) I think I'd rather spend my time with the genius from IT. Which is saying something.

Did get a quality email from heskie detailing her celeb encounters at the Atlantis shenanigans this weekend, which read rather like a condensed version of 6wks of E-TV or Heat magazine. Sounded amazing, and I'm glad it went off well. There have been many mutterings about the moral rights and wrongs of spending (in the region of) 11 million pounds on this event, not only in the "current climate" (I'm beginning to hate that phrase) but also, well, in light of a million other better uses for that kind of money. Whatever the rights and wrongs, I think the AB article summed it up well, pointing out the importance for Dubai to further establish itself on the world's tourism map as we head in to an era where only those with money will be travelling long haul. As the strategy really is to position the Emirate as a destination for top level business, with suitable entertainment for the hi-flyers that drive such business, I guess the launch was deemed a roaring success.

Still a shame Oprah was a no-show tho.

No comments: