Tuesday, June 19, 2007

a little work bubble

I thought about posting something interesting that had happened today, but then couldn't think of anything that wasn't work related. How sad is that?

However, I did have another small world moment. I was frantically emailing on both work mail & gmail at the same time (multi-tasking, see?) with responses on the gmail re: beer and shopping (random thread) and responding on the work mail re: islamic finance interviews with reuters. Thankfully, no, this story does not end with me offering senior Sharia'a clerics a beer during our next shopping excursion. However in one of my quick flicks back and forward between screens, I got myself horribly confused for a second when the same name, that I don't know, was peering at me from both screens.

It turns out the small group mail that I was bantering away with on gmail included some new names, that I (don't think) I know. One of which was also part of the work mail cc: list. So in the space of two minutes someone he didn't know sent an official work mail re: specific kind of islamic insurance and then a mail regarding drunken shopping. Obviously this made him laugh - and he ended up inviting me to a party on friday night.

so... do I go?

It is hugely likely that he is an overweight 45yr old sailor with no mates. The only person I know that is going is Toby, and there are a million reasons why that is a bad thing. Yet... new business contact... could be a whole new world of people...

I'm still pondering. I doubt I'll go. But it is a seriously small world and a lesson to self to always check the full cc list before hitting reply all.

No comments: