Sunday, September 10, 2006

Another weekend passes and I'm back in the fridge that passes for an office, looking out the window longingly and wondering what I can possibly invent to make my first instant million and retire to my yacht. Somehow I don't think dad's idea to hire a fleet of people to 'walk in' new docksiders (boat shoes) is going to fill the coffers.

However, it turns out that drinking can be good for the wallet. Thursday night, I went for a couple of swift ones (unfortunately that's bottles rather than glasses) at the Agency in Emirates Towers with the girls. Somewhere around 9pm I knocked my handbag over, and the waitress helped me tidy up the contents - passing me some crumpled money from the floor which i put in my open/upside down wallet. Sat back down for another hour and a half or so, then put the vino on the wonderous plastic and teetered out. Was dumping laptop with concierge when i went to my wallet to look for a business card and pulled out this annoying clump of money - which then turned out to be 6x 500dhs notes. Three grand. Absolute result. Walking back into the Agency with a fist full of cash shouting 'anyone lost some money' wouldn't have worked, and tips go into a central pot in the agency and i was far too pished to recognise which waitress had helped me... so I decided it was karma, went to Lotus and bought champagne.

Which left me with a very sore head for the first day of racing at DOSC the next day. Did well apart from ripping the spinnaker and the genny, it was a pursuit race and we came fifth, keeping art marine at bay which may become this season's mission. Dad helmed, Toby cap'n, and the likes of el matt & g scrambled from rail to rail. Ended the day in Toby's hot tub with the rest of the crew (18 of us... not all at once) which was a pretty good way to end the day. Meant I missed DJ cheddar's legendary cheese party but i was quite happy in my tub.

Chilled out with the sproglets yesterday, who joined M&D for a roast dinner and stayed over last night after a competitive game of scrabble, but I went to join W & F for sushi - fab little private room filled with pics of Rocky who founded Benihana's. My personal favourite was the one in the picture with George Benson (i think) in which you can only see his shoulders, everyone else is looking in completely the other direction and he totally looks like he's been (badly) photoshopped in to the picture. Hilarious. Talked about cars with new people, and fell asleep in my tempura before sloping off home - to awake feeling pretty healthy today. Till i tried to move my arms and slumped back on my bed - apparently they had forgotten the effects of winching on the boat. Ouch.

No comments: