Tuesday, September 19, 2006

La did daaa

Networkingtastic in the past couple of days, calls here, dinners there, all good but bloody knackering and politically fraught - a great idea here is a breach of confidence there, quiet in one meeting is respect, in the next it screams 'i have nothing to say!' What to do. Smile and nod, smile and nod, works 99% of the time (until the boss reports back that our clients didn't hire us to have vacant nodding imbicile working on the account. Hmm) Hopefully the pieces fit together this morning, the aussies certainly seemed happy. Touchy moment when potential client spoke french to me on seeing the spelling of my name and I panicked, ran the smile and nod manoevre with a muttered, um, well you see... comment, and quickly moved on - hopefully that won't jeopardize our chances. Occasionally makes me want to shout - look - I was conceived on a tanker in the Marseille dry docks - I'm not some franglaise london sproglet with aristocratic connections!! But I restrain myself, most of the time.

Operating notebook-less today, which means my 'what to do' list is sitting on the kitchen cabinets at home. Not a very useful place for it, as it means I'm winging today. By distracting myself with networking opportunities and blogging. Inshallah no potential employer ever discovers this blog. Or present one for that matter. However, as the press has been full of talk of getting "dooced" - or in english - getting fired for blogging, I shall cease talk of work. Not much else going on with my day, and far too caffinated from my triple shot skinny latte this morning to sit back and ponder, so on with work-winging.

No comments: